Thursday, January 28, 2016

More Than Metal

I always wear a quarter around my neck. I have found a quarter, made it into a necklace and it never leaves my neck. It is something that has become a part of me and symbolizes more than just 25 cents. Even thought I guess I worth 25 more cents than I was before I made this necklace. That's kinda cool. But also not the point. I wear it because it symbolizes my future. When I look at it, it reminds me of what my goals in life are. The quarter I wear is the Alaska state quarter. Alaska is my end goal in life, that is where I want to live and spend the rest of my life after college. But, it even says more than just that. When I look at it, it reminds me of all the things that have to be done before I get to the end goal. It tells a story that only I know about. To someone else its just a piece of metal hanging from my neck, but to me, it is my whole life story.

My girlfriend wears the same exact quarter around her neck. (For the probably 1 person who ends up reading my blog, you're gonna hear about her a lot. #notsorry) And though, I do not know exactly what it means to her; well I know its special to her because I wear one too and we both plan of living in Alaska together. But, I am assuming it is something very similar to my thought process, we have not really talked about it in great detail. But, that is my second meaning behind the piece of metal that hangs from my neck. It brings me closer to her. She is over 500 miles away from me and just to know that when I look down at my chest and see that quarter, I know she sees that same thing when she looks down as well. It is a cute, tiny connection we can share from across the country; and that makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment